Thursday, April 20, 2017

The Cannes Film Festival: Two Adventures Rolled Into One

I'm really excited to have been accepted into Le Marché du Film, an international marketplace affiliated with the Cannes Film Festival where I'll meet with movie distributors around the world. I'll be promoting the documentary I produced and directed, "Lady Wrestler: The Amazing, Untold Story of African-American Women in the Ring."

Journeying to the French Riviera next month will be a two-for-one-adventure: not only will I be able to spread the word about "Lady Wrestler," I'll also get to walk in the footsteps of the characters I created for my debut novel, "The Chloe Chronicles." In a key sequence in the novel when the main character, Chloe Bareaux, is a teenager, she and her best friend, Gigi Cartier, defy their overprotective mothers, run away from their hometown of Paris and take up residence in a glamorous hotel in Monaco.

It will be really cool to actually see with my own two eyes where Chloe and Gigi frolic on the beach with a handsome American pop star named Montana and a mixed-race young Frenchman named Dominique.

I'll, of course, post updates from Le Marché du Film and the Cannes Film Festival when they kick off in mid-May. 

As Chloe and Gigi declare when they run away from home, "Monaco, here we come!"

(To view a quick video about my anxiety about traveling internationally given the recent terror attack in Paris and all the instability in the world, click here.)


No comments:

Post a Comment