Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Getting Ready For Cannes: Memories of Paris

Since my first time visiting Paris almost 20 years ago in September 1998, I've had recurring dreams of returning to Europe. My trip to the 70th Annual Cannes Film Festival this week to promote my documentary, "Lady Wrestler: The Amazing, Untold Story of African-American Women in the Ring," finally affords me that opportunity.

Here are some of my memories of France from my last trip when I was a college student majoring in English at The Ohio State University and the Clintons were in the White House:

An overall welcoming feeling. France has long been a haven for African-American artists such as Josephine Baker, James Baldwin and countless jazz musicians. Perhaps because of this tradition, I felt totally welcome when I set foot in Paris. I didn't encounter the stereotype of French people being rude and condescending to American tourists. In fact, I found that people bent over backwards to give me directions and answer my questions and would often apologize if their English wasn't perfect.


A sense of history. Growing up in the United States, especially the Midwest where many subdivisions are newly built, everything feels recent. But walking down the boulevards of Paris and taking in architecture and sculptures that have been there for hundreds of years, the sense of history sweeps over you.

Diversity. Cultural diversity may not be the first thing that springs to mind when you think of a Western European country like France. But like all great cities, Paris is truly an international metropolis. 

I encountered other people of color of African descent like myself. In the hostel where I stayed, one roommate was from Australia and another was from Russia. My two roommates were friendly and showed me how to use the Metro, Paris' subway system — even if they did assume that because I'm tall and black, I must be a basketball player!

By the way, my trip to Paris back in '98 was to research my debut novel, "The Chloe Chronicles". The book invites readers on the the globe-hopping adventures of an exotically beautiful, multiracial young woman named Chloe Bareaux. The story begins in the City of Light — Paris. 

I plan to release a new, updated version of "Chloe" later this year. Details soon to come. Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment