Tuesday, May 23, 2017

The Red Carpet At Cannes Is Surreal In Many Ways

My experience at the 70th Annual Cannes Film Festival has been exciting and productive so far. I'm here promoting my documentary, "Lady Wrestler: The Amazing, Untold Story of African-American Women in the Ring."

I've had two "red carpet" experiences since my arrival in the scenic French Riviera on Saturday, May 20. Being on the red carpet at Cannes is truly amazing, since this is one of the most world-famous gathering places for people who love the movies. In fact, the festival reserves special spots along the red carpet for fans who proudly wear the label "Cannes Cinephiles."

I'm certainly a cinephile myself, so it was with great enthusiasm that I stood among the cinephiles along the red carpet on Sunday, May 21, watching the stars arrive for their big premieres here at the festival.

A billboard-size screen installed beside the red carpet gave the crowds an excellent view as Nicole Kidman and Elle Fanning emerged from the Grand Lumiere Theatre following the screening of their new movie "How to Talk to Girls at Parties." This was movie-star glamour at its height, with Kidman and Fanning decked out in designer frocks as they posed and preened for the paparazzi.

I also saw Andie MacDowell, whom I loved in the Gen X classic, "St. Elmo's Fire."

After the "How to Talk to Girls" entourage left the red carpet, a caravan of limousines delivered the next group: the stars of the new Netflix feature "The Meyerowitz Stories (New and Selected)." It was very interesting watching Oscar winners Dustin Hoffman and Emma Thompson interacting with comedy superstars Ben Stiller and Adam Sandler. These unlikely costars play a dysfunctional family in "The Meyerowitz Stories," which can best be described as a "dram-edy" - a combination of drama and comedy.

Hoffman, Thompson, Stiller and Sandler were joined on the red carpet by filmmaker Noah Baumbach, who wrote and directed "The Meyerowitz Stories." Baumbach reminds me of Andy Garcia, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's sometimes mistaken for the famous Cuban-American actor.

I really enjoyed "The Meyerowitz Stories," which is set to debut on Netflix this year. Since the movie is so star-packed, it seems to cry out to be shown in theaters rather than streaming online. In fact, a debate has raged at Cannes over whether movies that don't receive theatrical distribution should be allowed to be in competition at the festival. At least one jury judge, renowned Spanish filmmaker Pedro Almodovar, said he's a firm believer that only theatrical movies should screen at Cannes. As services like Netflix and Amazon Prime continue to grow in popularity, the debate will rage on.

On Monday night (May 22) I was privileged to attend the premiere of "Happy End" at the Grand Lumiere Theatre. As I stood next to the red carpet waiting to get in, I noticed director Brett Ratner of "X-Men: The Last Stand" and "Rush Hour" fame in line near me. I didn't meet Ratner, but I did shake hands with acclaimed African-American actor Julius Tennon, husband of Oscar winner Viola Davis. I let Tennon know that I really enjoyed "Lila & Eve," the independent film Tennon and Davis made with Jennifer Lopez.

I must say that in addition to spotting stars, one of the most surreal aspects of the red carpet experience at Cannes was the music that booms from oversize speakers as the celebrities make their grand entrances. I'm not sure who the DJ is, but the playlist is eclectic to say the least, including everything from Kool & the Gang's disco classic "Celebration" to a version of Christopher Cross' light-rock classic "Ride Like the Wind" with French lyrics.

Before we were ushered into the theater, yet another premiere let out. I watched as Nicole Kidman (once again), Colin Farrell and other stars of "The Killing of Sacred Deer" descended the steps of the Palais des Festivals after their screening ended and posed for the paparazzi. Kidman was joined on the red carpet by husband Keith Urban.

Once seated in the balcony of the Grand Lumiere Theatre, I watched as French acting legend and former Cannes Film Festival jury president Isabelle Huppert and the cast of "Happy End" took their seats in the front row and watched the movie with the black-tie crowd (myself included). Sitting in a darkened theater with the actors whose work was onscreen was a dream come true for a cinephile like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment