Tuesday, June 6, 2017

An Experience When Life Imitated Art

Sometimes art imitates life and vice versa. I recently had an experience in which my life mirrored a scene in the novel I wrote, "The Chloe Chronicles."

In the book, the main character Chloe and her best friend, Gigi, run away as teenagers for a summer and take up residence in a lavish hotel in Monaco - a beautiful principality in the French Riviera. They get an opportunity to attend the World Cinema Awards, a gala which is like a cross between the Academy Awards and the Cannes Film Festival. Mind you, I totally made up this World Cinema Awards event from my overactive imagination.

Since Chloe and Gigi hadn't packed any formal clothes, they go shopping in Monte Carlo (an area of Monaco). The girls hunt for gowns that are appropriate to wear on the red carpet at the World Cinema Awards.

In an eerie real-life version of this scene, I was in Monaco last month and got a last-minute opportunity to attend a red-carpet event in the French Riviera. I was at the real-life Cannes Film Festival promoting the documentary I directed, "Lady Wrestler: The Amazing, Untold Story of African-American Women in the Ring."

Like my characters Chloe and Gigi, I ended up going shopping for a red-carpet outfit in Monte Carlo. I was able to find a reasonably priced shirt and tie to pair with a black suit I'd brought with me to attend the premiere of the acclaimed French film "Happy End," written and directed by Michael Haneke and starring Isabelle Huppert (who is like the French Meryl Streep).

Sometimes life is stranger than fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment