Thursday, June 29, 2017

'GLOW' Captures Wrestling's Role As Female Empowerment Venue

"Wrestling was the first time I used my body in a functional, powerful way that had nothing to do with the way I was looked at." — "GLOW" actress Betty Gilpin


I’ve spent more than a decade shooting and editing the documentary “Lady Wrestler: The Amazing, Untold Story of African-American Women in the Ring.” I’m really excited that the movie is finally ready to be released later this year, and what a cool coincidence that a new show about women’s wrestling has just debuted on Netflix.

Here’s my review of the new series “GLOW,” which stands for “Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling”:

I love the animated opening of a wrestling match that’s made to look like ‘80s neon. I’m a big Patty Smyth fan and it’s great that the opening theme song is her ’84 hit with the band Scandal, “The Warrior.” That anthem is very appropriate for these tough wrestling women.

“GLOW” accurately captures the look and feel of the ‘80s. Some of the wrestlers' leotards and Spandex bring to mind Jennifer Beals’ memorable costumes in “Flashdance.”

I’m a pop-culture junkie and I love the ‘80s references throughout the show. In one scene, the lead character Ruth (Allison Brie) loses out on an acting audition when the casting director chooses to give the part to Steve Guttenberg of “Police Academy” fame.

I enjoy listening to Marc Maron’s “WTF” podcast, and the actor/comedian is well-cast as the sleazy producer of the “GLOW” wrestling show depicted in the Netflix series.

The overall tone of “GLOW” is satirical, but the series also portrays professional wrestling as a showcase for female empowerment. I certainly found that to be the case while conducting interviews for “Lady Wrestler” with legends Ethel Johnson, Ramona Isbell and Ethel Brown, and the children of the late Marva Scott.

I recommend checking out “GLOW.” It’s a crowd-pleaser for wrestling and comedy fans, and a welcome nostalgia trip for those of us who fondly remember the ‘80s.

No comments:

Post a Comment