Friday, December 15, 2017

2017 Highlight: Guest Lecture At OSU, My Alma Mater

One of the biggest highlights of 2017 for me was having the honor of being invited by my friend and fellow writer Professor Frederick Luis Aldama to speak at his film classes at The Ohio State University in Columbus. I addressed the students in January and October about my soon-to-be-released documentary "Lady Wrestler: The Amazing, Untold Story of African-American Women in the Ring." 

The experience of speaking at the university had a special significance, since OSU is my alma mater  — I graduated cum laude in '96 with a bachelor's degree in English. Adding to the specialness (as an English major, I hope that's a real word!) was that Professor Aldama's classes are held at the Gateway Film Center. "Lady Wrestler" screened there in June 2017 as part of the Film Festival of Columbus.

My lecture in February outlined the similarities between the brave women featured in "Lady Wrestler" and the fictional character Diana Prince in "Wonder Woman." As I pointed out to the students, wrestling legends such as Ethel Johnson and Ramona Isbell, whom I interviewed in the documentary, are similar to Wonder Woman in that they battled sexism and seemingly insurmountable odds to become heroines adored the world over. 

As some of Professor Aldama's students prepare to graduate this Sunday (Dec. 17, 2017), I have to give them a big shout of congratulations. And I have to give them an even bigger shout of gratitude for their attentiveness and asking insightful questions during my appearances. 

This is the message that Professor Aldama posted on Facebook at the conclusion of the "Film & Comics" class at the end of November:

Film & Comics 2017

It's a Wrap

Will miss this bunch of amazing students (including Groot, 
our resident guide/rescue doggie) after a semester's 
transmedial journey through the distillation and reconstruction of comics into films and films into comics as they make new our perception, thought, and feeling regarding race, sexuality, gender, and differently abled subjects. . .
Big Grx to my amazing co-pilot, Kristen Ferebee, as well as guest lectures by Cathy Ryan, Lindsay Harper Cannon and a guest appearance by director Chris Bournea. . .



Note: Poster art by Jason Gonzalez 

No comments:

Post a Comment