Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Birthdays Are A Time To Re-Charge And Re-Focus

Birthdays are a time to reflect on what you've achieved in the past year. But for so many of us who aspire to be successful in the entertainment field, birthdays can trigger introspection about everything we haven't yet accomplished.

I'm approaching another birthday and I just happened to come across an excellent blog post titled "Why Age Is Simply A Number." I found this post on Stage 32, which is a networking platform for creative types. If you're not yet a member, I highly recommend joining.  

In "Why Age Is Simply A Number," actor Mu-Shaka Benson states, "I started my acting journey in my 30's. When I began to pursue acting, I heard an array of comments ranging from 'don't quit your day job' to 'aren't you too old for that?'"

Benson goes on to list several solutions to tune out the negativity and stay focused as he continues to pursue his dream. (To read Benson's full blog post, click here.)

Here is my own list of solutions to keep a positive mindset as the birthdays pile up:

Identify what motivates you. Many people go into entertainment with dreams of being rich and famous. There's not necessarily anything wrong with that. Trevor Noah shares this insight in his best-selling autobiography, "Born a Crime": "People don't want to be rich, they want to be able to choose. The richer you are, the more choices you have."

What does being rich and famous actually mean? Having a sizable audience who appreciates what you do. And you don't have to be rich or famous to accomplish that.

As a writer and director, my goal is to tell stories in different formats: print, film, stage, television. This can be achieved without owning your own island or having your face plastered on supermarket tabloids.

Use technology to your benefit. Decent-quality cameras are relatively cheap nowadays. Buy one, make short films on a shoestring budget and put them on YouTube or any of the countless digital platforms out there. If you're a writer, harness the power of Twitter to build a following and sell your stories on Amazon. Anyone can do this.

Identify what makes you stand out. Comparing yourself to people whom you perceive to be more successful than you is a surefire way to get down on yourself. Instead of doing that, pinpoint what sets you apart and focus on that.

In my case, I'm a man who has an innate ability to relate to women's causes. This sets me apart. And it's the reason I saw the value in telling the stories of the courageous black female athletes chronicled in the documentary I directed, "Lady Wrestler: The Amazing, Untold Story of African-American Women in the Ring." 

I hope these strategies help you keep things in perspective. When your next birthday approaches, keep in mind the old saying: "Don't count the candles, just keep the fire lit."

Chris Bournea is a writer and filmmaker. He is the co-author of "All Jokes Aside: Comedy Is a Phunny Business" and the novel "The Chloe Chronicles." He also directed the documentary "Lady Wrestler: The Amazing, Untold Story of African-American Women in the Ring." 

Connect with Chris on FacebookTwitter and Stage 32

No comments:

Post a Comment